The transition from childhood to adolescence is where kids develop their curiosity on the world they are living. Kids at this age encounter rapid changes in their body as well as in their lives. They test their capacity although they are still dependent on their parents. They test new things without consulting in someone older and think of themselves as grown ups. Kids of this age are the most vulnerable to danger.
Internet threats to Kids Age 11-13 Years Old
Kids age 11-13 start to utilize the internet for school projects and research. They also use the internet to play online games, visit pop star sites, use instant messaging, use e-mail, and download music.
They also start building relationships from online acquaintances, develop sexual interest and may look on pornographic sites, and can easily be lured to enter personal information through registration forms, contests or surveys or reveal personal information to strangers.
To protect them from internet dangers, here are the important safety tips.
• Set up rules on when and what purpose the internet should be used. This doesn’t mean though that you restrict them from using the internet outside school-related work. Just make sure that they are guided in the right ways to use the internet.
• Take time to surf the internet with your kids. In this way, you will know the sites they are visiting and you can recommend sites that are suited for their age.
• The internet connected computer should be placed in an open area and not in the kids‘ bedroom.
• Place a security setting on the computer so that your kids can’t access or accidentally open sites that aren’t suitable for them.
• Tell them to ignore spam mails and not to open email attachments from unknown senders.
• Talk to them about pornographic websites and direct them to good websites for health and sexuality.
• Tell your kids not to disclose any personal information about them or your family including your names, address, their schools, email address, passwords and bank account numbers.
• Warn them about the danger of online chat and talking to strangers online.
• Teach your kids to become responsible to their actions online and not to engage into fights and bullying.
Since kids of this age still lack correct judgment and feel otherwise, online is a place where they can encounter great danger. Imposing these safety tips will help reduce these dangers.